[Pw_forum] on the way of approximating a large slab

Guido Fratesi fratesi at mater.unimib.it
Thu Apr 19 12:25:48 CEST 2012

Dear Yavar,

I hope a comment on your question (unfortunately not an answer) could be
helpful.
Notice that the properties of the adsorbed species may converge faster
than those of the clean surface alone. So, if you are interested in the
distance of the molecule from the surface, or the adsorption energy,
these may be described with a thin slab better than the interlayer
relaxation or the surface energy of the clean substrate (or even worse,
the surface electronic structure). You could practice by adsorbing a
smaller molecule or a fragment. I'd expect that much less than 14 layers
could be sufficient rather often.

(then, I remember about an "Effective Screening Medium Method"
implemented in QE, there's also an example, but I don't know much about it)

HTH
Guido