[Pw_forum] GADGET and PWSCF

Alex Shearer alex124678 at nc.rr.com
Fri Sep 30 23:25:38 CEST 2011

Esteemed Colleagues,

I am interested in using PWSCF to calculate the properties of molecules
self assembled onto crystal faces. These calculations are often done in
VASP, but I would prefer to use PWSCF because I find it easier to work
with and can run test jobs on a local machine rather than our cluster.
The geometries of adsorption are often non-trivial; in papers dealing
with similar systems, a tool known as GADGET is often used for geometry
optimizations (see reference below). It seems that this tool, written in
python, is designed to work in conjunction with VASP itself.

A. Track; F. Rissner; G. Heimel, L. Romaner; D. Kafer; A. Bashir; G. M.
Rangger; O. T. Hofmann; T. Bucko; G Witte; E. Zojer.J Phys. Chem C 2010,
114, 2677-2684.

So, my two questions are:
1. Is there a similar geometry optimization package that is appropriate
for use with
     PWSCF?
2. If there is no such package, does anyone have experience using GADGET
in conjunction     with PWSCF?

Many thanks,

Alex Shearer
Graduate student; University of California, Berkeley