[Pw_forum] Finding effective mass

Eduardo Ariel Menendez Proupin eariel99 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 15:40:48 CEST 2011

Dear Padmaja,
Quantum ESPRESSO calculates the band energies by a method different from
k.p. If you want to calculate an effective mass you can use QE to calculate
the band energies in the neighborhood of the desired k-point and then obtain
the effective mass doing numerical derivation.

If you want to get inside he code, you can extract the matrix elements of
the momentum operator and program the calculation of the effective mass.

Due to the non-locality of the pseudopotentials, as well as of the GGA
functionals, I am not sure if the expressions found in the  50's classic
papers (e.g. Kohn&Luttinger) can be applied. In presence of non local
hamiltonian it is not true that p/m=[H,r]/ihbar
 I know that  for optical properties, the momentum operator in the A.p
interaction hamiltonian has to be replaced by a generalized operator. See,
e.g., PRB48, 11789 (1993) and PRB 73, 045112 (2006). Hence, I suspect you
would have to repeat the derivation made in the classic papers, or find
where it is done (and let me know your findings).

Best regards
Eduardo