[Pw_forum] Zn NC_PP from qe-forge

William Parker wparker at anl.gov
Thu Oct 20 18:05:31 CEST 2011

Thanks, Eric, for the insight.  That core correction can be vicious.  Turning up the density cutoff does help.  There is still oscillation in the total energy at the 100 micro-Ry (meV) level for density cutoff 16 times the wave function cutoff, but I guess one shouldn't expect too much stability at that level.

https://wiki.alcf.anl.gov/wparker/images/6/68/ZnO_ecut_convergence_rho4_10_16_lda_ncpp.png

--William

On Oct 19, 2011, at 9:13 PM, Eric J. Walter wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Just to double-check. Is charge density cutoff 4 times that planewave cutoff?
>
> I think that this hits on the issue...  The Zn.pz-nc.UPF has a sharp
> core correction.  The FFT/Density grid
> needs to be increased significantly, here is a plot of from 4x to 20x
> ecutwfc for the case with and without
> a core correction in Zn. I think this is the cause of the odd *ecutwfc*
> shown by William Parker.
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8094696/Znplot.pdf
>
> So, in this case, no, the density cutoff needs to be higher:
>

> Eric
>

> On 10/19/2011 08:47 PM, Nichols A. Romero wrote:
>> The behavior here is what I might expect for a real-space DFT code,
>> but V_NL is evaluated in reciprocal space right (we don't have
>> real-space projectors)?
>>
>> Just to double-check. Is charge density cutoff 4 times that planewave cutoff?
>>

>> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 2:51 PM, William Parker<wparker at anl.gov>  wrote:
>>> Dear Yun Song and interested parties,
>>>
>>> The possibility of a phonon test case in ZnO piqued my curiosity so I decided to have a go at it.  I find a very odd convergence pattern with these two pseudopotentials in this system--the total energy has a damped sinusoidal decay with increasing cutoff:
>>> (selecting the maxima and minima at 10 Ry sampling)
>>>
>>> E_cutoff (Ry)   E_total (Ry)
>>> 100             -338.741
>>> 160             -338.660
>>> 210             -338.675