[Pw_forum] change in Fermi Energy with ecutoff, Vacuum and degauss

Eduardo Ariel Menendez Proupin eariel99 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 12:34:47 CET 2011

Deepak,
Periodic calculations have several components of the electrostatic energy
that are separately infinite, but added they cancel. Instead of dealing
with infinites, they are usually eliminated in plane wave codes setting to
0 the G=0 components of the Fourier transforms. I guess that Quantum
ESPRESSO  satisfies this rule. A component V(G=0)  is just the spatial
average of V(r), meaning in practice that  the electrostatic potential (the
Hartree part) is adjusted to zero. The amount of vacuum volume in the
supercell represents a weight for the spatial averages. If you change from
10 to 20 angstroms of vacumm width, you are doubling the weight of the
vacuum part in the average.

If the average were not adjusted to zero,  then I would expect that the
average tends softly to cero for infinite vacuum volume, and the Fermi
level converge to a constant value. As the average potential is
artificially shifted to zero, the Fermi level experiments the opposite
shift. For more interesting details, take a look at PRB 77, 115139 (2008).

Best regards

Eduardo Menendez Proupin
Departamento de Química Fisica Aplicada
Facultad de Ciencias