[Pw_forum] the unit of DOS

Iurii TIMROV iurii.timrov at polytechnique.edu
Fri May 6 14:12:23 CEST 2011

Dear All,

I would also like to clarify for myself the units of DOS. By definition,
the DOS reads:

DOS(E) = \sum_n \int delta(E - E_n(k_x,k_y,k_z)) dk_x dk_y dk_z / (4 \pi^3),

where \delta is the Dirac delta function, k_x,k_y,k_z are the 3 components
of the wave vector, n is the band index, E is the energy (Ref. Ashcroft
and Mermin). According to this equation the unit of DOS is
1/(Energy*length^3).

Is the following statement correct?:
"The Density of States of a system is the number of states per interval of
energy -in the unit cell volume-".

Could somebody comment on this? Is there a mistake in the above thinking?

Thanks!

Best,
Iurii

Iurii TIMROV