[Pw_forum] why K-X point of phonon dispersion is wrong?

Eyvaz Isaev eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com
Fri May 6 13:51:26 CEST 2011

Hi,

First of all I would recommend  the use of PlotPhon utility to plot phonon
dispersion relations. For this one you have to have calculated interatomic force
constants matrix (*.fc) file.

Regarding your particular question: you should choose K(0.75,0.75,0), then from
the  K point go to the X point (1, 1, 0) which is equivalent to

the X(1,0,0) point. Then from the X(1,0,0) to the Gamma (0,0,0) point.
Dashed line just means that we can continue in this direction to match phonons
at the X point (i.e. it is an intermediate point from the Gamma to the X point)
.

Please also provide your affiliation.

Bests,
Eyvaz

Prof. Eyvaz Isaev,
Department of Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (IFM), Linkoping University,
Sweden

Theoretical Physics Department, Moscow State Institute of Steel & Alloys,
Russia,

isaev at ifm.liu.se, eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com