[Pw_forum] Cohesive Energy of N2 molecule

Izaak Williamson izaakw89 at yahoo.com
Tue May 3 18:54:14 CEST 2011

Dear all,

I am trying to calculate the cohesive energy of the N2 molecule using the
attached input file (relax.in) and am getting a value of -16.57 eV. I use DFT
with GGA and the pseudo-potential N.pbe-rrkjus.UPF. Other work [Fuchs et. al.,
Phys. Rev. B 65, (2002)245212] has performed similar calculations and obtained
values ~10.5 eV. They even list an experimental value of 9.76 eV. Why is my
value so much higher? Is there anything in my input file that could be giving
inaccurate results? Is it my pseudo-potential that is causing this problem?

Thanks for any help.

--
Izaak Williamson
Research Assistant