[Pw_forum] Need help to run on windows using cygwin

Giovanni Cantele giovanni.cantele at spin.cnr.it
Tue May 3 13:12:28 CEST 2011

On May 3, 2011, at 12:37 PM, Dr. Mahmudur Rahman wrote:

> Dear user,
> I have just downloaded quantum espresso and cygwin (as i am using windows
> 7). But I do not understand how to run the example. I read the user guide;
> still cannot make out.
> Best regards,
> Mahmud

how to run examples is explained here:
http://www.quantum-espresso.org/user_guide/node13.html

But from your message it is not clear why you didn't manage to run.
Did you get some error message?

Was your installation successful (namely, did you build working executable? have a look to the
Quantum-ESPRESSO/espresso-x.y.z/bin directory)? If so, you need to set some environment variables
under cygwin according to what explained in the above link:
BIN_DIR: directory where executables reside
PSEUDO_DIR: directory where pseudopotential files reside
TMP_DIR: directory to be used as temporary storage area

On the side, although you should be able to easily install and make running Quantum-ESPRESSO
under cygwin + Windows, I would strongly suggest to try (if you have time) the much better, faster, friendly,
totally free, beautifully looking Linux operating system. You can download a live CD (just to try before installing it)
from www.ubuntu.com.

Giovanni

**** PLEASE NOTICE THE NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS: giovanni.cantele at spin.cnr.it

Giovanni Cantele, PhD
CNR-SPIN and Dipartimento di Scienze Fisiche
Universita' di Napoli "Federico II"
Complesso Universitario M. S. Angelo - Ed. 6
Via Cintia, I-80126, Napoli, Italy
Phone: +39 081 676910 - Fax:   +39 081 676346
Skype contact: giocan74

ResearcherID: http://www.researcherid.com/rid/A-1951-2009
Web page: http://people.na.infn.it/~cantele
                     http://www.nanomat.unina.it