[Pw_forum] Problem with newly implemented LDA -1/2 in atomic code (ld1)

Rajan Pandey rajanpandey at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 20:48:06 CEST 2011

Hi Leonardo,

Thanks a lot for the detailed description of LDA-1/2 in the atomic code. I
appreciate it.
Indeed, with CUT value of 3.67, I got the correct band-gap of Si. I went
through one iteration of the paper,
and I understand that the parameter CUT has to chosen such that it optimizes
the excitation energy. However,
It seems that there is no general rule for specifying the fraction of
electronic charge to be removed from the valence electronic configuration.
For group IV element it is 0.25 (C is), on the other hand for II-VI or III-V
compound it is 0.5 for anion p or cation d. What about the transition metal
with incomplete d orbital (for example Ti, Zr, V, Cr, Mn)? The only
transition metal which was discussed in the paper
is Zn, which has completely filled d orbital. Also, what about the
fractional charge to be removed from the valence of f-block elements?

Thank you, and best regards,

Rajan