[Pw_forum] graphite cell optimization failed

Eric Germaneau germaneau at gucas.ac.cn
Thu Mar 24 18:45:59 CET 2011

Dear QE users,

First of all I thank you all so much for your very useful replies and
advices.
I did again the calculation this time using 16x16x8 k-points with cold
smearing  as suggested in PRB 71, 205214 (2005).
I've also increased the precision of the atomic coordinates.
Finally, I preformed the calculation using GGA only, GGA+london, and LDA.
I got the following results:

GGA                             GGA -
london
LDA                                                             EXP

a = 2.46854 angs       a =  2.46283 angs                          a =
2.44424                                         a = 2.46067
c = 8.02141 angs       c =  6.39949 angs                          c =
6.49579                                         c = 6.705 (6.67 at 0K)
energy = -155.032      energy =  -155.146 ev/atom           energy =
-155.481 ev/atom

The DFT-D approach improve significatively the length of the c axis.
I'm currently trying to do the same thing with the vdW-DF method
implemented in QE 4.3a but the program crash with the error:

/     from ggen : error #     45126
      too many g-vectors/

Best,

              Eric.