[Pw_forum] Doubt in Curie temperature value

German Samolyuk samolyuk at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 22:24:00 CET 2011

Hi,

The difference between FM and AFM energies gives 2J_0, I think. It's easy to
check for nearest neighbors interactions only.
In this case for Fe your result is quite reasonable. Fe is itinerant
ferromagnetic but with localized magnetic moments and
Heisenberg model works quite good. You can look for exchange parameters
calculated through linear response expression.
There is a lot of publication on this topic. For Fe exchange potentials
looks like: large first neighbors interactions and the oscillations.
So the rest of neighbors almost compensate each other.
Ni is a different story. I do not know if anybody can calculate Curie
temperature in Ni correctly. It's significantly smaller and if I'm right and

delta E = 2 J_0 result for Ni is even smaller in your calculations in
agreement with other results.

Sincerely,

German Samolyuk,
ORNL