[Pw_forum] graphite cell optimization failed

Daniel Forrer daniel.forrer at unipd.it
Wed Mar 23 14:56:15 CET 2011

Dear Giuseppe and Gabriele
I agree with Gabriele that PBE-D2 gives better results than vdw-DF in the
case of graphite.
About CP, some time ago I interfaced the DFT-D2 module of PWscf to cp.x. At
that time, I used the 4.2 release of espresso, which is a little old now. I
can send you that old package if you are interested.
We also tested the DFT-D3 method on a couple of systems and, in my opinion,
it does not give very exciting results. But interestingly, as suggested by
Giuseppe, in some cases we found a good agreement between DFT-D3 and vdw-DF
data. Hopefully the two series vdw-DF(n) and DFT-D(n+1) will converge to the
same result :)

regards

daniel

  Daniel Forrer