[Pw_forum] graphite cell optimization failed

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Wed Mar 23 13:57:46 CET 2011

Dear Giuseppe,

   I think your reply reached also the PW-forum, since I've received it twice, so everyone should have been able to read it.

Il giorno 23/mar/2011, alle ore 10.48, giuseppe.mattioli at mlib.ism.cnr.it ha scritto:

> Dear Gabriele
>
>>   is there any concrete evidence that "ab initio" van der Waals
>> vdW-DF is systematically better than Grimme's vdW?
>
> Yes, at least in the case of molecule-surface interactions.

Maybe graphite is another story... with PBE-D2 you should get an interlayer spacing just 3.4% smaller than the experimental value, which is not so bad considering the much larger PBE error.

> There is a
> recent (2010) Grimme paper (I'm sorry, I cannot be more accurate
> today...)

Maybe this one:
THE JOURNAL OF CHEMICAL PHYSICS 132, 154104 (2010)
which is the paper introducing the D3 method (and a comparison with its predecessor D2)

> that reports an overestimate of the above interactions when
> using DFT-D2, currently implemented in QE. I've performed comparative
> tests (classical MM, DFT-D2, vdW-DF) on several molecules interacting
> with the non-polar 10-10 ZnO surface and I've obtained the best
> results (some of them comparable with experimental data, i.e., the
> thiophene ring) by using the vdW-DF approach. The DFT-D2 setup,
> however, is quite good for molecules in my experience, and can be
> tuned by changing the C6 coefficients by hand
> (QE/Modules/mm_dispersion.f90), following one of the available force
> fields (AMBER, CHARMM, ...).
> Maybe DFT-D3 and vdW-DF would converge to
> similar results...

I can't tell this, but I know that DFT-D3 should include some notable improvements with respect to the D2 version, since it now takes into account some kind of local coordination of the atoms, atom-pair specific coefficients (from ab initio), and should also separate better the long range regime from the short range one. I know there is someone who offered to look at implementing the extension to D3, maybe it will be available in a few months time.

> What about cp?

No clear idea here. However I believe it should not be difficult to port DFT-D2 to CP, since it requires only atomic positions and the cell setup. These should be handled in a similar way in PW and CP.

Gabriele