[Pw_forum] Memory usage in Quantum Espresso

Krukau, Aliaksandr akrukau at indiana.edu
Thu Mar 10 22:29:57 CET 2011

  Dear QE users,
   My desktop has Intel Core 2 Quad processor and 4GB RAM. However,
when I run  Quantum Espresso (QE) 4.1, the biggest PWSCF jobs that I
manage to run use about 200MB of RAM. For bigger systems or tighter
cutoffs, the calculations crash with a segmentation violation.
Moreover, if I use QE 4.2.1, the calculation crash even when I use more
than ~100MB. So I am restricted to the quite small systems, especially
if I use the latest 4.2.1 version. The user guide mentions that old
compilers can reduce the size of the system that PWSCF can treat. But I
use relatively new version 9.0 of Portland group Fortran compilers. If
I run 'limit' command, it shows 'memoryuse unlimited; stacksize
unlimited'.
    I apologize for the naive questions, but why can PWSCF use only a
small fraction of my total RAM? Or the line "per-process dynamical
memory" in the output file does not show the total required memory? Is
there a way to run bigger calculations without using parallel execution
(maybe by compiler flags etc.)?
  Best regards,
  Alex Krukau,
  Indiana University