[Pw_forum] GIPAW fails for large system

Emine Kucukbenli kucukben at sissa.it
Fri Mar 4 11:40:58 CET 2011

Dear Paweł
I think there is no reason why your calculations for large systems
shouldnt work, else than the obvious memory problem. Please monitor
the memory usage and adjust the resources accordingly.

Note that in GIPAW, many arrays with size (# of planewaves, # of
bands) and (#band, #band) are allocated. This easily increases the
memory required compared to a correspoinding pw.x calculation.
But yes i think it is a good idea to print some estimate of the memory
required at the beginning of the run, similar to pw.x

emine kucukbenli, phd student, sissa, italy

ps: I think your "conv_thr = 1.d-6 " is a bit too loose to get good
enough wavefunctions for GIPAW.