[Pw_forum] nscf restart

Vi Vo vovi47 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 10 07:36:04 CEST 2011

Dear Garbriele,

Thank you very much for your help.

Vi

________________________________
From: Gabriele Sclauzero <sclauzer at sissa.it>
To: PWSCF Forum <pw_forum at pwscf.org>
Sent: Thu, June 9, 2011 2:29:21 AM
Subject: Re: [Pw_forum] nscf restart

Il giorno 08/giu/2011, alle ore 20.20, Vi Vo ha scritto:

Is it possible that I double the number of CPUs and use -npool 2?

Yes, it is possible, and that's what you should to in order to speed up the
calculation.

 I see the number of planes printed out in the beginning of the output is
90CPUs.  Thus the max number of CPUs that I can use is 90CPUs, ie one CPU per
plane.

The number of cpus employed for the FFT parallelization is
nproc_pool=nproc_tot/npool. Therefore, if you double the number of processors
(let's say from 90 to 180) and double the number of pools (from 1 to 2), then
you will still have the same parallelization scheme for the FFT grid (within
each pool).

In principle nothing forbids you to use more cpus than the number of FFT planes,
but this might be inefficient. Then you should employ task groups or threading
via OpenMP (for more detail, please refer to the user guide or to the QE paper,
linked in the bibliography section of the quantum-espresso.org website)

HTH

GS