[Pw_forum] Relaxation of impurity in bulk materials

giuseppe.mattioli at mlib.ism.cnr.it giuseppe.mattioli at mlib.ism.cnr.it
Thu Jun 9 21:09:53 CEST 2011

Dear Izaak
You (often) suppose to investigate an "isolated" dopant or defect, but
in fact you are always simulating an array (a superlattice) of
impurities in a semiconductor (SiC) host. In principle you should
verify that your results are reasonably insensitive to the supercell
volume. In such a framework you can quite safely fix the equilibrium
lattice parameters of the 2x2x2 bulk SiC and relax all the atoms, but
if you want to study modifications to the lattice parameters induced
by defects, which may depend on defect concentration, codoping, etc.
You may be interested in some details: I've often investigated defects
in zincblend GaAs by using cubic 64-atom supercells (and a 4x4x4
k-points mesh) at fixed lattice parameters. A 64-atoms simple cubic
SiC supercell may represent a good starting point to study defects
(point defects...) in SiC. You may want to read the following Zunger's
paper, which (as usual...:-)) addresses some of your questions better
than me.

S. Lany and A. Zunger Phys. Rev. B 78, 235104 (2008)

HTH

Giuseppe> Hello everyone,

> I am trying to study impurities in SiC bulk material. For this, I use a big
> unitcell of 2x2x2. I do not understand how to do a relaxation in this system,
> ie, which atoms should be kept fixed? I was thinking that the
> unitcell boundary
> atoms would automatically be kept fixed but that does not seem to be
>  the case.
> Any help will be much appreciated.
>
> --
> Izaak Williamson