[Pw_forum] Car-Parrinello of metal surface

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at materials.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 1 17:08:42 CEST 2011

Dear Sara,

the CP algorithm breaks down in the limit of a vanishing gap -
see the Pastore Smargiassi Buda 1991 PRB, or the Mauri Tassone
Car from a few years later (or the books on the topic - e.g. the
Marx Hutter is the best reference).

Hence you need to do a Born-Oppenheimer minizimation at every ionic
time step - within the CP code it is implemented using the ensemble-dft
algorithm we developed years ago (PRL 1997); see example29, at least
for the electronic part.

Or you could use PWSCF, and perfrom a BO molecular dynamics. In
principle the CP codes is more suitable to large-scale simulations, and
the ensemble-DFT algorithm is very robust, but it has never been really
optimized (still, we are currently doing simulations on ~200 atom
metallic slabs).

			nicola