[Pw_forum] What files are needed when pw.x restarts? In what case the *.wfc files are need?

Seyed Javad Hashemifar hashemifar at cc.iut.ac.ir
Wed Jul 27 08:13:24 CEST 2011

Hello
As far as I know, since pw.x uses iterative diagonalization method, in
addition to the charge density files, it needs to wave function files also
to restart a calculation. If there is no wave function file, then you can
set some atomic wave functions in namelist ELECTRONS:

http://www.quantum-espresso.org/input-syntax/INPUT_PW.html#id2468572

to restart your job, but in this case it will not be restarted exactly from
the position of interruption.

If you set wf_collect=.true. then most likely you able to restart or
continue your parallel job with a different parallel setting (for example on
different number of processors).
SJ Hashemifar
Seyed Javad  Hashemifar
Department of Physics, Isfahan University of Technology
84156-83111 Isfahan, Iran
Tel: +98 311 391 2375     Fax:+98 311 3912376
Email:  hashemifar at cc.iut.ac.ir
Group Homepage:      http://cmsgroup.iut.ac.ir
Personal Homepage:  http://hashemifar.iut.ac.ir