[Pw_forum] My vague understanding of internal degrees of freedom.

Hongsheng Zhao zhaohscas at yahoo.com.cn
Fri Jul 22 06:07:54 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I've learned that the single-point energy calculation
(calculation='scf') can be used for the following purpose:

---------
It can be used to calculate an equation of state (i.e. a pressure-volume
and/or energy-volume dependence) for high-symmetry systems with no
internal degrees of freedom, as long as the Stress property is specified.
---------

But I've some puzzles on the meaning of internal degrees of freedom.
Say, for a bcc structure, does it has internal degrees of freedom or
not?   Furthermore, in the general case, how can I know whether a system
has the internal degrees of freedom or not?

ps.  According to the paper J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 21 395502, the
internal degrees of freedom, also can be called the microscopic degrees
of freedom, is the atomic coordinates; and the macroscopic degrees of
freedom are the shape and size of the unit
cell.
--
Hongsheng Zhao <zhaohscas at yahoo.com.cn>
School of Physics and Electrical Information Science,