[Pw_forum] ph.x cannot reach convergence within 100 steps

Eyvaz Isaev eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 21 10:10:10 CEST 2011

>Then,  may I make a conclusion that this structure or composition is unstable?

If  you have imaginary frequency, yes. If the structure is a high temperature phase, it is another story. DFPT works at  low  temperatures (strongly speaking at T=0K).

Bests,
Eyvaz.

Prof. Eyvaz Isaev,
Department of Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (IFM), Linkoping University, Sweden
Theoretical Physics Department, Moscow State Institute of Steel & Alloys, Russia,
isaev at ifm.liu.se, eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com

________________________________
From: GAO Zhe <flux_ray12 at 163.com>
  .

I have obtained the convergent result by decreasing alpha_mix(1) from 0.7 to 0.4. But the result has imaginary frequency (about -80 cm^-1) at X(100).
Further more, I also tried VCA (by virtual.x) +DFPT method for the same composition and strucutre, X(100) still had imaginary frequency (also about -80 cm^-1).
Then,  may I make a conclusion that this structure or composition is unstable?
Looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards.

--
GAO Zhe
CMC Lab, MSE, SNU, Seoul, S.Korea

At 2011-07-17 15:39:13,"Eyvaz Isaev" <eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I was not sure whether this problem caused by empty-band number, so I increase nbnd.
>
>You should increase nbnd if you see "too few bands" message  in *.ph.out file.
>
>Bests,
>Eyvaz.
>

>________________________________

in some cases, ph.x cannot reach convergence within 100 steps and stop
>automaticly.
>>
>>1. You should  perform 'scf', not 'vc-relax' before phonon calculations.
>>2. You have a rather large system (nbnd=100), but used alpha_mix(1) by default (0.7). Try it around 0.1.
>>3. Try changing nmix_ph (by default 4).
>>4. If this does not help change 'maxter=100' in phcom.f90 and recompile.
>>
>>Bests,
>>Eyvaz.
>>

>>-------------------------------------------------------------------
>>Prof. Eyvaz Isaev,
>>Department of Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (IFM), Linkoping University, Sweden
>>Theoretical Physics Department, Moscow State Institute of Steel & Alloys, Russia,
>>isaev at ifm.liu.se, eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com
>>

>>________________________________

 1.0d-12 (default) to 1.0d-10, the |ddv_scf|^2  values was around 10^(-6) or 10^(-7) magnitude. The problem usually occurred at the second q-point, but sometimes, even if lucky enough, it would definitely occur at
 the third q-point (4 q-points in 3x3x3 case).
>>Are there any methods to solve this problem? Any suggestion will be welcome.
>>Calculations were used GGA-PBE USPP.
>>This is my input file:
>>cat >W25.relax.in <<EOF
>>&control