[Pw_forum] Pressure-induced phase transition

Eric Germaneau germaneau at gucas.ac.cn
Wed Jul 20 16:45:29 CEST 2011

On 07/19/2011 10:21 PM, Hongsheng Zhao wrote:
> On 07/20/2011 09:24 PM, Eric Germaneau wrote:
>> Well, I don't know about "common tangent" concept.
> See the page 3 of this notes by Keith Refson:
>
> http://www.castep.org/CASTEP_talks_07/refson2.pdf
Thank you.

>> You can study structure stability looking at phonon dispersion for instance.
>> An instability could mean that the structure undergoes a phase
>> transition (or that it's not fully relaxed)
> What's the characteristic of the phonon dispersion when phase transition
> occurs?  More hints?
I noticed the reply of Pascal Boulet after I sent my post. He point it
out very well.

>> You can also compute the free energy of your system where phonons will
>> give you the harmonic part (see PRL 64 045123 (2001)
>> <http://link.aps.org/doi/10.1103/PhysRevB.64.045123>).
>> So you can look at several thing when changing the pressure, among them
>> structure change, phonon, energy, free energy (not that easy).
>> Why not electronic density of sates?
> Again, do you have experience in using DOS for judging phase transition?
>    Any hints on the  the characteristic of it when the phase transition
> occurs?
I've no idea, that was just a suggestion.
I suppose some change may occur in the electronic structure ...
But the effect of the pressure on the electronic structure may be less
significant than the temperature. I don't know.
An expert on /ab initio/ calculation would be able to give you an answer.

<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/%C3%A9ric-germaneau/30/931/986>