[Pw_forum] Pressure-induced phase transition

Eric Germaneau germaneau at gucas.ac.cn
Wed Jul 20 15:05:24 CEST 2011

On 07/18/2011 09:28 PM, Hongsheng Zhao wrote:
> On 07/19/2011 06:49 PM, Eric Germaneau wrote:

>>> Not so clear about the meaning of this sentence, could you please give
>>> some more explanations? ;-(
>> Under pressure keeping the unit cell fix is useless since the system
>> won't feel it.
>> It just makes sense.
>> So, if you wish to see the effect of the pressure you have to perform
>> vc-relax calculation.
>> Take it that way, in thermodynamic you have 2 important ensembles,
>> isochoric and isobaric.
>> So either the volume is fix and you get out the corresponding pressure,
>> or the pressure is fix and you get out the corresponding volume.
>> Note that the volume of gas for instance decreases inversely
>> proportionally to pressure.
>> The pressure is the intensive variable related to the volume (extensive).
>> You simply can not have both of them constant at the same time.
> Yes, you're right.  I'm so sorry for my previous misleading posts on
> this thread.  Thanks again.
No worries!
I'm glad to see that this discussion was useful.
Best,

         Éric.

--
/Be the change you wish to see in the world
/ --- Mahatma Gandhi ---

Dr. Éric Germaneau <mailto:germaneau at gucas.ac.cn>

College of Physical Sciences
Graduate University of Chinese Academy of Sciences
Yuquan Road 19A
Beijing 100049
China

/Please, if possible, don't send me MS Word or PowerPoint attachments
Why? See: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html /