[Pw_forum] how to extract data from phonon calculation to plot phonon frequency dispersion curve

Eyvaz Isaev eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 14 16:11:33 CEST 2011

Hi,

In order to plot phonon dispersion relations you need interatomic force constants matrix, *.fc file. To get it you have to calculate dynamical matrices for a given number of q-points defined via (nq1 x nq2 x nq3) mesh, then perform FFT to get F(R) - the *.fc file (using q2r.x). Then you can use PlotPhon utility to plot phonon dispersion relations.

Best regards,
Eyvaz.

Prof. Eyvaz Isaev,
Department of Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (IFM), Linkoping University, Sweden
Theoretical Physics Department, Moscow State Institute of Steel & Alloys, Russia,
isaev at ifm.liu.se, eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com