[Pw_forum] Why dielectric function of only interband contribution has the features of intraband?

gbliu goodluck_1982 at 163.com
Tue Jul 12 19:04:28 CEST 2011

Dear PW users,

     I calculated the dielectric function of (3,3) Carbon nanotube
(CNT). However, the results for only interband contribution has the
features of intraband contribution! Attached figures show the results of
parallel polarization compared with wien2k (a FP-LAPW software). Using
"intrasmear = 0", the direct result of epsi.dat should gives out only
interband contributions, while epsr.dat is added by  "omega_p^2/omega^2"
to get the interband contributions only.  And omega_p is obtained as
*3.5679eV* by fitting the difference of data with intrasmear=0 and
intrasmear=0.1 using Drude model  "\epsilon_{intra}=1-
omega_p^2/(omega^2+i*omega*intrasmear)". How to understand this?

     Another problem is, fitted omega_p = 3.5679eV. This is far from the
result given by wien2k, 24.5eV!  Which one is more reasonable? And why?

    Can anyone help me?  Thanks in advance!

Best wishes,

Liu Gui-Bin
Dept. of Physics, The University of Hong Kong

---------------input file for epsilon.x----------
&inputpp
    outdir='./work'
    prefix='cnt33'