[Pw_forum] negative dr2

Holzwarth, Natalie natalie at wfu.edu
Wed Jul 6 14:58:56 CEST 2011

Dear Dan,

I have seen this error in several cases particularly for transition metals
and
for basis and projector functions generated by our atompaw program.  My
understanding
(based on a discussion with Stefano de Gironcoli) is that the program stops
when the
program detects a certain product of one-center terms to be negative.   In
my experience
these terms can be negative before convergence and I have commented out the
offending
line.   In my tests, this allows the program to converge consistently in the
tests I have done.
This is not necessarily safe or well-tested and I did promise to look into
it further.   In case
you would like to also try, the offending line in 4.2.1 is line 553 in
sct_mod.f90:

  IF (okpaw)         rho_ddot = rho_ddot + paw_ddot(rho1%bec, rho2%bec)

I repeat that commenting out this line may not be a good idea, but it has
worked for me in
limited tests.  (I still hope to do more tests.)

 Sincerely,

      Natalie Holzwarth

N. A. W. Holzwarth                                       email:
natalie at wfu.edu
Department of Physics                                 web:
http://www.wfu.edu/~natalie
Wake Forest University                                 phone:
1-336-758-5510
Winston-Salem, NC 27109 USA                     office: Rm. 300 Olin
Physical Lab