[Pw_forum] d3.x: Symmetry operation in third-order anharmonic force tensor of Si

Haru Deku adadadad3018 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 06:13:48 CET 2011

Dear all

I want to examine the lifetime of phonon at Gamma-point via the calculations
of phonon-phonon interaction with use of d3.x.

Recently I encountered one problem rerating on the symmetry operation of the
third-order anharmonic force tensor of Si.

------------------------

(1) I calculated the tensor at q=(0,0,1) (X-point) following the strategy
shown in example 14, with PWSCF ver4.1. Then, I obtained the anharmonic
tensor ( see please, "si.anh_X" attached with this mail), and I confirmed it
is completely the same as the one seen in reference in example 14.

(2) Next, I calculated the tensor at q=(0,1,0) which point is equivalent to
X-point, and anharmonic force tensor at q=(0,0,1) is obtained by symmetry
operation.

I expected that the tensor obtained in (1) SHOULD be equivalent to that in
(2) after symmetry operation due to the equivalence in q-points.

However, contrary to the expectation, a different result is observed in the
anharmonic tensor at q=(0,0,1) obtained by the symmetry operation ( from
q(0,1,0) to q(0,0,1)), see please, "si. anh_X_2"); actually, some components
are same but considerable difference are observed.

I'd like to know what is wrong in my calculation/input-files/strategy on the
computation.

--------------------------

I am a really beginner for use of d3.x, and may be this problem comes from a
lack of my attentiveness to the calculation.

I'm so sorry for disturbing your time, but If you could give me some helps,
I really appreciate for your kindness.

I attached some files; the input and output files that are in
"files.tar.gz".

I'd like to say thank you very much, in advance.

Haruhiko Dekura

Haruhiko Dekura

Postdoctoral Fellow

Senior Research Fellow Center, Ehime University, 2–5 Bunkyo-cho, Matsuyama,
Ehime 790-8577, Japan