[Pw_forum] big calculations

José Alberto Pires Fernandes jafernandes at ua.pt
Wed Jan 19 21:58:16 CET 2011

Hello

I'm a newby in calculations with Quantum espresso and I
think I'm trying to do an impossible task.

I want to do a structural optimization to a cell with 338
atoms (C, H, N and O) and approximate dimensions of
15*15*15  angstroms. If I choose Ecut of 18 Ry and a
kpoint mesh of 1*1*1, with pz-rrkjus pseudopotential the
optimisation takes 13 hours. With a 2*2*2
kpoint mesh is taking more than 4 days, and hasn't
finished yet. I believe that for reliable results I need a
larger Ecut (at least 30 Ry, I suppose) and a number of
kpoints in the order of thousands, which would imply in a
calculation of several years.

The cell is a P1 triclinic cell but about 300 atoms are
fixed, because I only need to do particial optimisation.
So, what can I do to have reliable results in useful time,
or Quantum Espresso is not suitable for my task?

José Fernandes
Departamento de Quimica
Universidade de Aveiro
3810-193 Aveiro