[Pw_forum] Mean Square Displacement (MSD) of atoms

Changru Ma crma at sissa.it
Tue Jan 18 12:18:32 CET 2011

Dear Bertrand,

The mean square displacement of atoms in a simulation can be easily
computed by its definition

MSD = < (r(t) - r(0)) ** 2.0 >

Be careful when you compute r(t) - r(0), as Giovanni La Penna mentioned.
You's better post process .pos to .xsf by cppp.x first and then calculate
MSD from .xsf file.

"Mean square Displacement" printed every isave step in the output file is
the mean square displacement of each ionic specie. It's calculated in
Modules/ions_base.f90, subroutine ions_displacement(). What you want is
"to collect the MSD of each ions during the dynamics". So you have to
calculate it yourself.

Best wishes,
Changru

Changru Ma, PhD Student