[Pw_forum] Error during optimization

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Wed Jan 12 12:02:01 CET 2011

Il giorno 12/gen/2011, alle ore 11.47, Fen Hong ha scritto:

> I see,
> you mean using parallel,

No, it can be either parallel or serial, this is NOT the point.

In practice Paolo and Stefano are suggesting you to check if you have been executing at the same time several pw.x  calculations with the same values of the prefix AND outdir input parameters. This would obviously cause _big_ troubles and should always be avoided if you don't want the program to crash and/or produce garbage results.

HTH

GS

> I have run 6 pw.x. My system cost about 20 G byte memory
> Thank you very much.
> 2011/1/12 Stefano Baroni <baroni at sissa.it>
>
> On Jan 12, 2011, at 3:01 AM, Fen Hong wrote:
>
>> Dear Paolo,
>> Thank you very much.
>> But what do you mean about "running more than one instances of pw.x in the same
>> temporary file region", could you please give me more detail about that?
>
> I guess that Paolo meant "having two pw.x processes write/read their temporary files in a same directory"
> (not sure that my wording is more clear than Paolo's, though)
>
> Hope this helps
> Stefano
>
>> Thank you very much again.
>> Gao Min
>>
>> 2011/1/12 Paolo Giannozzi <giannozz at democritos.it>
>>
>> On Jan 11, 2011, at 2:28 , Fen Hong wrote:
>>
>> >  "forrtl: severe (67): input statement requires too much data, unit
>> > 16, file /home/gaomin/PWscf/outdir/iso0-free.igk2
>>
>> > what kind of mistake can cause this error
>>
>> running more than one instances of pw.x in the same
>> temporary file region
>>
>> P.
>> ---
>> Paolo Giannozzi, Dept of Chemistry&Physics&Environment,
>> Univ. Udine, via delle Scienze 208, 33100 Udine, Italy
>> Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222

> ---
> Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center - Trieste
> http://stefano.baroni.me [+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) / stefanobaroni (skype)
>
> La morale est une logique de l'action comme la logique est une morale de la pensée - Jean Piaget
>
> Please, if possible, don't  send me MS Word or PowerPoint attachments
> Why? See:  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

§ Gabriele Sclauzero, EPFL SB ITP CSEA
   PH H2 462, Station 3, CH-1015 Lausanne