[Pw_forum] Why does dos.x look for evc.dat files?

Andrea Ferretti ferretti at mit.edu
Tue Feb 8 19:52:43 CET 2011

Dear J.D.,

in principles you are right, the wfcs would not be needed.

Anyway, since dos.f90 is started according to all the postprocessing
codes, it does some operations on wfcs.
In particular, at the end of the routine

~espresso/PW/read_file.f90

you would find
CALL pw_readfile( 'wave', ierr )

which is probably where the error is issued.

The possibility to restart without reading the wfcs could be added
(maybe a simple flag in pw_restart that comments out the above lines
would work, but it may be also much more involved)...

deleting lines from data_file.xml  makes it probably
unreadable and is not a good idea in general.

For your specific case, in order not to re-run the calculation you can try
(no guarantee) the following quick and dirty procedure:

* put the correct data_file.xml back in place
   (if you do not have this file I would start considering re-running the
   calculation or computing the DOS by yourself (I probably have a stupid
   f90 code for that, anyway) )

* comment out the line
   CALL pw_readfile( 'wave', ierr )  in   PW/read_file.f90

   recompile and try to run it...

* immediatly after remove the comment and re-compile !!!

andrea

BTW: if it takes more then 5 minutes to try all the above,
      I would go for a direct calculation of the DOS from the
      eigenvalues written in the output file. (let me know, in case)

--
Andrea Ferretti
Oxford University, Department of Materials

Please, if possible, don't send me MS Word or PowerPoint attachments