[Pw_forum] Lunch Yesterday with Walter Kohn

W2AGZ w2agz at w2agz.com
Sun Feb 6 08:16:36 CET 2011

To All Within the PWscf Community:

Yesterday I was honored to be invited to have lunch with Walter Kohn, one of
four in the company of Ted Geballe, Steve Kivelson and Mac Beasley of the
Applied Physics Faculty of Stanford.  I believe the QE community would enjoy
knowing that Walter, at age 88, is very active and engaged, especially in
promoting wind and solar as the future energy scenario of the US (not one I
totally agree with, BTW).  I first met Walter in the late 1970s when I was
at IBM and collaborating with Doug Scalapino on Monte Carlo simulations of
low dimensional fermion Hubbard-like models.

We did get a few minutes to discuss the future of DFT as well, and agree
that our community would benefit greatly from the extension of LDA+U,
particularly to electron-phonon interactions.  Nicola?  Mateo?  Eyvaz?

-Paul