[Pw_forum] SCF correction compared to forces is too large.

Guido Fratesi fratesi at mater.unimib.it
Fri Dec 23 10:03:45 CET 2011

Dear Sonu Kumar,

in general this warning means that the forces you are computing are not
very accurate, BUT relatively to their absolute value.
  Here, the absolute value of the force is very small so even a tiny SCF
correction appears large, so the warning. You can safely ignore it
because there's no harm in missing forces by 25% when they are
negligible. Notice that how large a 'negligible' force depends on you
and the system under investigation.
  In my experience this situation is not unfrequent at the end of the
optimization process. I expect you could get accurate results in terms
of coordinates and total energy also with a bit larger scf threshold
(1d-8?).

Guido