[Pw_forum] How to achieve the convergence of Ecutrho?

Guido Fratesi fratesi at mater.unimib.it
Tue Dec 13 10:10:43 CET 2011

Dear Plato Tao,

as for any convergence parameter, the criterion is analogue to the
epsilon-delta definition in calculus.
  Namely, if Q is the quantity you want to have converged (say, the
total energy) within an accuracy \epsilon (the value of \epsilon
depending on your own needs), with respect to a convergence parameter x
(say, the cutoff):

if   |Q(\infty) - Q(x)| < \epsilon   for all x >= x',

then x' is the value of the parameter ensuring you convergence. Notice
that this does not imply anything about how fast you reach convergence,
so a criterion only based on differences between consecutive steps
(x,x+dx,x+2dx...) is ill defined as it depends on dx. You have to
estimate the value of Q(\infty), e.g. by extrapolation to large values
of x, and see when your error with respect to this virtually exact
result is lower than the accuracy you want to achieve.

Best wishes,
Guido