[Pw_forum] constrained magnetization calculation to converge at the ferromagnetic state

sreekar guddeti colonel.sreekar at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 12:25:30 CEST 2011

Respected Sir/Madam,
1. I would like to perform a constrained magnetization calculation for a
system, whose unconstrained spin polarized calculation gives an
antiferromagnetic state, to converge at the ferromagnetic state.
2. The system is a zigzag graphene nanoribbon(*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphene***) and I would like to flip the
atomic moment at one of the edge site and constrain both the edge site
moments.
3. I calculated the antiferromagnetic edge site moment  using PDOS
calculation. I used 'lambda' parameter to constrain the moments.

4.Questions: Is 3) the right way to do it? If yes, what should be value of
lambda? I used lambda =1 and the scf output (given below) is disturbing... I
would like to ask what does "constrained moment :   -20.000000" mean and why
is the constrain energy so high.  If it is not the right way, I would be
grateful if you could suggest an alternative.

Thanking you,
Yours sincerely,
Sreekar Guddeti
Undergraduate (5th year)
Engineering Physics
IIT Bombay
India

PS: The system namelist for scf calculation and the sample output are given
below and the complete input file is attached.

--------------------------------------
     atom number   15 relative position :   -3.5000   6.0622   0.0000
     charge :     0.983302
     magnetization :          0.000256
     magnetization/charge:    0.000260
     constrained moment :     0.309100

     atom number   16 relative position :   -3.0000   5.7735   0.0000
     charge :     1.783674
     magnetization :         -0.385046
     magnetization/charge:   -0.215873
     constrained moment :   -20.000000

*constraint energy* (Ryd) =   6095.83663339
---------------------------------

--------------------------------
&SYSTEM
                       ibrav = 12,