[Pw_forum] vdW functional not implemented for spin polarized runs

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Fri Apr 29 09:49:42 CEST 2011

Dear all,

     I inquired Timo Thonhauser (now Wake Forest  University), the main
character behind the vdW-DF functional implementation in Quantum
ESPRESSO,  about the issue of the spin-polarized version of vdW-DF.

I'm reporting his opinion below:

"In general, at the moment there exists NO true extension of vdW-DF for
spin-polarized cases. Several groups have expressed interest in working
on it, but nothing has been published yet. Note that just evaluating
vdW-DF for the two spin densities separately, while simple to implement,
is an approximation which is difficult to justify: there is no
quantitative measure of the error being made, other than hand waving
arguments that it has to be small. Also, we did not implement that
simple fix, because we were afraid that people would use it as a
black-box for spin-polarized calculations, not knowing that there is no
spin-polarized vdW-DF"

hope this helps to clarify the situation.

stefano