[Pw_forum] Problems with electrostatic corrections (Makov-Payne or density counter charge) for aperiodic systems in 4.2 version

Oliviero Andreussi oliviero at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 5 16:37:59 CEST 2011

1) Roughly speaking, eq. 15 of the original Makov-Payne paper express
the energy of periodic system (E) in terms of the energy of the isolated
system (E0) plus the energy of interaction between the periodic replicas
(E11 and E12). Neglecting the fact that the E12 term has the wrong sing
in the original equation (as it is stressed in a comment in the code),
to obtain the energy of the isolated system you want to subtract E11 and
E12 from your periodic total energy, as it is done in the code, i.e.
E0=E-E11-E12.

2) The DCC correction was not bugged or bit-rotting, and, as far as I know,
it was also working for 2D cases. It was removed from the code in order to clean it
and make pw's compilation easier: this is because DCC required an external
multigrid solver an a somehow cumbersome implementation. One of the
developers of the original DCC code (Ismaila Dabo) is now working on a
different version of the DCC that do not require multigrid solvers.

Best,

Oliviero Andreussi

Postdoctoral Associate MIT-DMSE,
77 Massachusetts Ave, Office 13-4084,
Cambridge, MA, 02139 USA

Visiting Researcher, Oxford University,
Departments of Materials, Rex Richards Building,
Park Road, Oxford, Oxon, OX1 3PH, UK