[Pw_forum] shift of energy

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Mon Apr 4 12:24:12 CEST 2011

Dear  All,
     let me clarify a little point.
     The potential (hence the eigenvalues) of  any calculation in
periodic boundary conditions, not just a plane-wave one , is defined up
to  an additive constant... In a finite system a reeference can be fixed
by requiring that the potential goes to zero at infinite distance but in
a periodic system this cannot be defined as there is nothing like a
point at infinite distance ...
    In most codes (and in pw.x) this arbitrary constant is fixed by
setting the average electrostatic potential to zero. If the supercell is
properly constructed, with the properly scaled dimensions, the same
cutoff, equivalent k-points etc.. the two calculations should be
equivalent and the eigenvalues should be exactly mapped, the average
potential should be the same, the total energy should be an exact
multiple of the one of the original cell.

If this does not happen one is NOT doing the supercell calculation properly.

So if when doing a supercell you do not get the scaled result check your
system definition.

stefano