[Pw_forum] shift of energy

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at mlib.ism.cnr.it
Mon Apr 4 11:46:48 CEST 2011

Dear all
I suspect that a a little misunderstanding has been going on here...
I try to reformulate the question: in the case of a 8-atoms cell the valence
band maximum (VBM) has been found around 10 eV and the conduction band
minimum (CBM) around 12 eV with a 2 eV band gap. So there is a shift in the
position of VBM and CBM when calculated in a 72-atoms supercell, but the band
gap value is the same. Then, the answer to P Shok could be: plane wave
pseudopotential calculations do not ensure an universal alignment of
eigenvalues. You should use some "internal" reference, like the 1s eigenvalue
of an He atom, in your cell; or trust that the two VBM values are aligned "de
facto".
HTH

Giuseppe

On Monday 04 April 2011 09:39:18 Gabriele Sclauzero wrote:
> Yes,
>
>    I perfectly agree with Eyvaz! Moreover the experimental bandgap is
> underestimated within LDA or GGA, and for 4H-SiC you would get about
> 2.2-2.3 eV with LDA.
>
>    How do you measure the bandgap? Beware that in the fundamental cell the
> bandgap is not a direct one, but it might become such when you use a
> supercell (because of the refolding of the Brillouin zones).
>

> HTH
>
> GS
>
> Il giorno 03/apr/2011, alle ore 10.59, Eyvaz Isaev ha scritto:
> > Hi,
> >
> > >The bandgap of 8-atoms is around 10-12 eV,
> > >but that of 72-atom is around 5-7 eV.
> >
> > This is unbelievable, as SiC is an indirect band gap semiconductor and
> > the bandgap is around (2.5 - 3)eV depending on crystal modification
> > (3C-SiC, 2H-SiC; 4H-SiC; 6H-SiC, etc.).
> > See http://www.matprop.ru/SiC_bandstr
> >
> > So, check carefully your input/output files.
> >
> > Bests,
> > Eyvaz.

> > Prof. Eyvaz Isaev,
> > Department of Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (IFM), Linkoping
> > University, Sweden Theoretical Physics Department, Moscow State Institute
> > of Steel & Alloys, Russia, isaev at ifm.liu.se, eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com

- Article premier - Les hommes naissent et demeurent
libres et ègaux en droits. Les distinctions sociales
ne peuvent être fondèes que sur l'utilitè commune
- Article 2 - Le but de toute association politique
est la conservation des droits naturels et
imprescriptibles de l'homme. Ces droits sont la libertè,
la propriètè, la sùretè et la rèsistance à l'oppression.

   Giuseppe Mattioli
   v. Salaria Km 29,300 - C.P. 10
   I 00015 - Monterotondo Stazione (RM)
   Tel + 39 06 90672836 - Fax +39 06 90672316