[Pw_forum] shift of energy

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Mon Apr 4 09:39:18 CEST 2011

Yes,

   I perfectly agree with Eyvaz! Moreover the experimental bandgap is underestimated within LDA or GGA, and for 4H-SiC you would get about 2.2-2.3 eV with LDA.

   How do you measure the bandgap? Beware that in the fundamental cell the bandgap is not a direct one, but it might become such when you use a supercell (because of the refolding of the Brillouin zones).

HTH

GS

Il giorno 03/apr/2011, alle ore 10.59, Eyvaz Isaev ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> >The bandgap of 8-atoms is around 10-12 eV,
> >but that of 72-atom is around 5-7 eV.
>
> This is unbelievable, as SiC is an indirect band gap semiconductor and
> the bandgap is around (2.5 - 3)eV depending on crystal modification
> (3C-SiC, 2H-SiC; 4H-SiC; 6H-SiC, etc.).
> See http://www.matprop.ru/SiC_bandstr
>
> So, check carefully your input/output files.
>
> Bests,
> Eyvaz.

> Prof. Eyvaz Isaev,
> Department of Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (IFM), Linkoping University, Sweden
> Theoretical Physics Department, Moscow State Institute of Steel & Alloys, Russia,
> isaev at ifm.liu.se, eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com

§ Gabriele Sclauzero, EPFL SB ITP CSEA
   PH H2 462, Station 3, CH-1015 Lausanne