[Pw_forum] enthalpy of adsorbtion of o2 molecule on a ZnO supercell

Prasenjit Ghosh prasenjit.jnc at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 13:18:59 CEST 2010

Dear Meysam,

In principle they are different quantities. Generally enthalpy (H) is
related to the internal energy (E) as H=E+PV (P=pressure
V=volume)....so change in enthalpy upon adsorption of a molecule
(enthalpy of adsorption) is given by

dH=dE+PdV+VdP

where dE is the adsorption energy for your case (and is -ve if the
molecule binds).

Now if you consider your system to be the surface with molecule
adsorbed on it, then for a given coverage, the volume & pressure is
constant.....so in that case dH=-dE, i.e. the enthalpy of adsorption
is -(adsorption energy)

Prasenjit