[Pw_forum] simulation of poisson effect in thin film

Wong Kelvin wongkc81 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 14:51:21 CEST 2010

Dear all,

I am simulating the material behaviour of metal under biaxial strain.
(although so-called thin film, the cell does not include any vacuum. it's
still bulk).

so i strain the crystal in a and b direction by certain percent. Accordingly
the stress in x and y , also z direction go up significantly.

I try to reduce the stress in Z direction by changing the C length of the
crystal while keeping strain (length of) in A and B. I understanding that i
took poisson effect into account by doing so.
Is my understanding correct? Pls comments.

Wong