[Pw_forum] Request about the "real" total energy

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 4 13:13:54 CEST 2010

Dear Steve,

Indeed, you are freezing the core electrons in a pseudopotential - if
atomic energies are
what you are interested in, use the ld1.x code.

Of course, plane waves are not really the best choice for Hartree Fock
calculations (use a
quantum chemistry codes) but if you are concerned about comparisons,
maybe you could look
at potential energy surfaces - e.g. the dissociation of a molecule, or
the frequency normal modes -
there you could compare Hartree-Fock within pw.x with other known results.

Still, there could be better choices to get acqainted with the code -
maybe browse, from the
q-e website, the lectures/videos/tutorials of the 2009 Santa Barbara school.

       nicola