[Pw_forum] Potentials between two charged particles

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Mon Oct 4 08:54:33 CEST 2010

dear Baowei Liu ,
 when using USPP or paw, charge density can acquire small negative
contributions due to an incomplete  Fourier expansion of the
augmentation charge density. This appears in particular when the system
has large portion of vacuum (surface or molecules) since all other
relevant contributions to the charge density vanish...
However your cutoff values  (both  ecutwfc and ecutrho) are quite high
so I'm a bit surprised you see negative charges.
How large are these negative values ?

stefano