[Pw_forum] valence electron charge density

Lorenzo Paulatto lorenzo.paulatto at impmc.upmc.fr
Mon Nov 22 10:07:17 CET 2010

In data 21 novembre 2010 alle ore 21:26:59, Shaptrishi Sharma
<sh.shapt at gmail.com> ha scritto:
> I would like to know does quantum espresso calculate only the valence
> electron charge density or it calculate the charge density of all
> electrons.As plane wave calculates only the valence electron charge
> density.

Dear Shaptrishi,
because of the pseudopotential formalism, the code knows nothing of the
all-electron charge: it is not possible to plot it. However, if you use
*only* PAW datasets, you *can* plot the all electron charge using the
pawplot.x utility. Keep in mind that the frozen-core approximation is
still used, thus I'm not sure it is really useful.

best regards

--
Lorenzo Paulatto
post-doc @ IMPMC/UPMC - Université Paris 6