[Pw_forum] Finding Curie temperature

German Samolyuk samolyuk at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 16:16:31 CET 2010

The simples way is to yse Heisenberg model. If you have system with well
localized magnetic moments, the bcc iron is one of them,
it will works pretty good.
You can calculate total energy of ferromangnetically (FM) ordered state and
anitferromagnetically (AFM) one.
Depending on type of AFM the difference of these two energies gives you
effective exchange parameter J_0.
in mean field approximation the Curie temperature T_c=2/3 J_0. Or more
complicate - you can map
set of exchange parameters to set of energies for differently magnetically
ordered states and obtain
T_C from this Heisenberg hamiltonian.
As I understand all other approaches wiil need modifications of the code.

Best,

German Samolyuk
Oak Ridge National Lab
USA