[Pw_forum] Constrained occupation

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Sat Nov 6 11:18:24 CET 2010

Dear Jie,
   as Gabriele was saying constrained DFT is not implemented in PWscf:
it is not so easy to force occupation of specific atomic-like levels in
a plane-wave basis.
   Something related to this issue had to be considered when with Matteo
Cococcioni  we devised a way to calculate the U parameter in DFT+U
approaches in a consistent way in a planewave basis set [see Cococcioni
M, de Gironcoli S, PRB 71, 035105 (2005)]. The trick has been to force
the occupation by adding localized potentials using atomic-projectors
multiplied by some parameter alfa_I, where I is the index of the
perturbed atom.  In this way the energy as a function of alfa_I is the
Legendre transform of the energy as a function of n_I (the occupation of
the localized orbitals of atom I). Hence, by chosing an appropriate
value of alpha_I you can control n_I.
   Variables associated with this features in the pw.x input are
Hubbard_U and Hubbard_alpha; you may want to have a look if these may be
useful to your purpose.

   Hope this helps,

stefano