[Pw_forum] GDIS

Eduardo Ariel Menendez Proupin eariel99 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 20:17:20 CET 2010

Hi Koa,
I use GDIS to visualize and modify some structures, and to produce  images.
GDIS can read XYZ files, and a number of other formats, but not a format of
Quantum ESPRESSO. GDIS is the preferred interface of GULP and have
capabilities for other packages, like SIESTA. It would be nice to have, and
it may be easy to write, a script to transfom from and for PWSCF format. One
advantage for Debian and Ubuntu users is that it is included in the
distribution, hence apt-get install gdis, and it gets installs in your box.
If you do not use GULP, or SIESTA, or other supported code, you may live
without it. For my taste, the images of XCRYSDEN are prettier. GDIS has
certain capabilities to generate supercells and surfaces, what is call, a
builder. XCRYSDEN can do the same, but only if you also have CRYSTAL.

Regards

--

Eduardo Menendez
Departamento de Fisica