[Pw_forum] odd # of electrons in primitive cell => metal ?

Eyvaz Isaev eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 1 19:49:26 CET 2010

Hi,

 From: sonu kumar <1009ukumar at gmail.com>

>I also want to do phonons calculations....can i use LDA+U

No, not yet.  Hopefully, Matteo  can tell us more  about  this opportunity.

>or   Yamboo or GW+Wannier  for this also.? or any other option?

Neither Yamboo nor GW+Wannier can be used for phonon calculations.

>Also from physics point of view if i have an odd no. of electrons in primitive
>cell,
>then my system should be metallic, but actually it insulator...why is it so?

The reason is the Columb imteraction (repulsion)  between d-electrons.  There
are some materials that should be metallic  from DFT view of point, but they are
insulators (Mott insulators).

>>If your system has odd no. of electrons, you should do a spin
>>polarized calculation with some smearing.

>will try whether can i get insulating nature?

Most likely, AFM  calculations.

Bests,
Eyvaz.

Prof. Eyvaz Isaev,
Department of Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (IFM), Linkoping University,
Sweden

Theoretical Physics Department, Moscow State Institute of Steel & Alloys,
Russia,

isaev at ifm.liu.se, eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com